Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Frida


In dissipated anger,
the thoughts were cut and fell,
as frozen locks of misery;
reminder of my hell.
In grey, sure-suited sitting,
I stared upon my life,
and held the strands of helplessness;
the broken threads of strife.
They scattered on the floor of pain,
in spread and creep of grace,
as crucified upon the chair,
I found my broken place.
It was an offering to life,
a gift to faceless death,
and in the wanton scattering,
I saw the shape of Self.


Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907–1954)

Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair

Date:
1940
Medium:
Oil on canvas
Dimensions:
15 3/4 x 11" (40 x 27.9 cm)
Credit Line:
Gift of Edgar Kaufmann, Jr.
MoMA Number:
3.1943
Copyright:
© 2013 Frida Kahlo / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / SOMAAP, Mexico

http://www.pw.org/content/poetry_challenge?cmnt_all=1

No comments:

Post a Comment