Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Who am I?

I.

I gave you my love
and you held it so near.
I gave you my heart
and you held it so dear.
You gathered my laughter,
and stood by my pain;
a guard by my fear
till I joined you again.
But when I gave you my anger
you lowered your arms,
and stepped from my side,
as if fleeing from harm.
And you turned from
my tears, when I gave them
to you and they fell to my heart
and washed my love through.
What I wanted you see,
was to give you myself,
but when I had finished
removing all that,
you wouldn't accept,
then I couldn't find me.


II.

To search within the almost seen, scramble in the mind,
to rummage through the coats of past, seeking so to find,
who I am and who I was and who I still might be;
so does love draw gentle hands across eternity.

Who was I then, who am I now, and who will I become,
so do the questions roll and taunt when certainty is gone,
and who I might have been, or could, has drifted on the wind;
so do potentials reach an end, before we can begin.

That morning when I woke in fear and huddled into Self,
as dreams and deep imaginings were tumbling from the shelf,
so then I saw in scattered wreck the tramplings of my heart;
and realised, that who I was, had never played a part.

And yet it had been written, this tortured, searching path,
which led from birth and on to death, as pure and soulful art,
for in the journey to become, to know and render true;
I learned the shape of  what was me, perceived, what was called you.




) Who are you and whom do you love?
2) What else are you, that no one has seen before?
3) Describe a morning you woke without fear.
4) What lingers when all is said and done?

 http://dversepoets.com/

10 comments:

  1. reading your lines often gives me goosebumps: they resonate in feeling and content to such an extent.
    In addition the phrasing seems to slot into the voice in my head like it was made for it.
    I have yet to come hear and not be delighted by what I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know I have connected. That is why we write. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. How lovely and soulful. I like your choiee of words and the way you weave them to capture one's imagination. The idea that you are still becoming is one that resonates with me. I enjoyed reading this very muc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That morning when I woke in fear and huddled into Self, as dreams and deep imaginings were tumbling from the shelf, - nicely put. an exploration here that brings the reader with you

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an honest self-exploration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we love ourselves we love others out of joy instead of need. Then our journey changes, and life is certainly a journey. I think that when we write from honesty - our poetry always touches others, and I really felt this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The progression - lovely, and I really like the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I particularly relate to I. Been there, done that! You say it well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love them both and can relate to both! Beautiful response, very melodious, and haunting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, explorative response to the prompt questions. I really enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete